Sunday, January 26, 2014

Where have all the post cards gone?

It had never occurred to me that I would have trouble finding postcards.  I finally found my first postcards to send to the grand kids in Garrison at Tutt’s Bait Shop.  Great little local stop right on MN highway 18.

Did you know that the first post card was sent through the US mail in 1848?  I ran across some old post cards in a box when I was packing for the move.  One was from my parents when they were on a trip to Hawaii.   This is from 1972 – 8 cents paid to transport this card over the ocean and hand carry it to my home.  


I remember many road trips with my parents, we would stop and a cute souvenir store and buy post cards - along with stick candy and an ice cream cone.    Hmmm, I love Ice Cream.

It still amazes me that for a few cents you can drop a card in a box and someone will pick it up and deliver it to anywhere in the world.  AND this has been going on for over 100 years.  With text and email they are not currently a part of how we communicate.  I hope they never go away.   It would be such a shame.

Postcards are a real, tangible part of our personal history.  I remember how special it was to get them in the mail.   I wish that I would have kept more of them. 

If you have any postcards, take a photo and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment