Friday, February 7, 2014

The Land of Green Chile Stew

Like me, New Mexico is all about the food.  The BEST OF NEW MEXICO COOKBOOK
is full of great recipes and New Mexico trivia.
+

A typical New Mexico kitchen, I read, has beans and corn on the stove, a stack of tortillas on the counter and a ristra of dried chiles against the wall.  Using what the land provides is the basis from which local dishes are derived.   The book is peppered with local legends and stories about the people of this beautiful area.   I learn the the city of Ruidoso got its name from a river that flows nearby, which means "noisy" in spanish.  Did you know that there are 2000 varieties of peppers?

As I page through the book I see interesting twists like Bloody Mary Soup, old favorites like Huevos Rancheros, and  oh my, for this Mary, the Perfect Margarita. 

My mouth waters for Shrimp Rellenos and Southwest Orange-Chili Chicken with Black BeansGypsy Rasberry Brownies and  Mexican pecan-Toffee Tartlets in Chocolate Chip Cookie Crust. 

And finally, ah yes, Green Chili Stew, with the caption, "Great on a cold winter night".
I mean, really?

No comments:

Post a Comment