Saturday, February 22, 2014

Where the Wild Things are


My sister Eva and I love to walk, seriously, we walk a lot.  Last night we hiked up the hillside and down into a “nature” area to look at the redwoods.  We got a late start and dusk was not far away.  It was just beautiful.   We stopped briefly to laugh at a sign. 


Now, this pathway is completely surrounded by houses and not two miles away from her house. It was rugged and very undeveloped; and sure maybe a raccoon or snake, but mountain lion?    I felt as though there was little reason to be concerned.  On we walked and I did notice it getting dark, partly because it was so heavily wooded.   My ears became acutely aware of noises, scanning the surrounding brush as we walked.  I caught some movement but could not focus on it immediately.  As my brain processed the golden colored tail I saw two feet off the ground, my heart began to race.  We decided it would be a good idea to turn around and head back;  another sound and more movement.  We found ourselves walking faster and faster; laughing a little, that sort of nervous laugh you have when you are trying to dismiss a less than ideal situation.  Finally we arrive back at the entrance and up the canyon hill we climb.  About half way up, I turned to look behind.  There standing on the path right behind us was a small, lone, coyote.   Once we made eye contact he turned and walked back into the trees. 


So it probably was not a mountain lion stalking us but we laughed and still kept up our brisk pace as we walked home.  There is never a dull moment when hangin with my big sis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment